Thursday, July 14, 2005

Another nice Taiwan photoblog

Came across another nice set of photos by Leslie, a Canadian English teacher who lives in Yuanlin, central Taiwan.
(Click here to see her photo archives.)

She also has a nice photo blog (Click here.)
In my opinion, Leslie isn't such a whizz when it comes to using Photoshop to create what I think she is intending to be a natural effect. At best this makes some photos look 'over-processed', at worst, it makes them look like they were taken by a cheap digital camera.
She uses a Nikon D70, which is a very nice 'prosumer' camera. My own point-and-shoot camera, Canon Powershot SD400(the 4 megapixel version), takes great pics but sometimes produces shots in which the oranges are a little too bright. I thought this was because it's not a pro camera but if you look at Leslie's shots you can see the same 'too brightly orange' effect as well. I've also noticed it in a Reuters photo so it must be a feature common to all levels of current digital photography.

Here's one of her best pictures.



Below is a recent photo from her photoblog. It shows great plumes of highly toxic smoke from the recent fire at a chemical production plant in Taichung. Click here to read about it in the Taipei Times. I'm glad I don't live anywhere near Taichung industrial park! Cough, cough.

No comments: