Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Favourite Chinese-language Taiwanese blogs


In the past few months I've been browsing the odd Chinese-language blog, and I've found it's been a refreshing change from reading blogs by Taiwan expats. Oh, before I go on, could someone please blog about Darlie toothpaste just one more time, because that's a topic that I think hasn't quite been covered enough lately.
Don't get me wrong: I read a lot of Taiwan expat blogs, mostly via my trusty Google Reader, and I enjoy them a lot for the most part, but it is nice to leave The Bubble sometimes and read blogs which aren't simply variations on the theme of "Isn't Taiwan a funny little country?" (Whew! Nice to get that off my chest!)

When I first started exploring Taiwanese blogs it was hard to know where to start because there are just so many of 'em. I needed some recommendations to start the ball rolling. My wife reads quite a few blogs so I just asked her which are her favourites.

The blog she most often checks out is Coco Chang 画生活. Coco is a Taiwanese gal married to an American. She blogged about her life in Taiwan and what it's like being married to a "laowai". It was pretty funny and her little illustrations were quite charming in their own way. Her blog developed quite a following and she even published a book based on her blog.

About a year ago they decided to up and move back to the States. Her blog has been revamped several times (I guess she has a lot of spare time!) and the latest rendition is tricked out with all kinds of ever-so-slightly-annoying IE-only gizmos so Firefox users be warned!

It's interesting reading about their life over there from her perspective, but maybe she does overdo it with the 'cute kid' videos sometimes. All in all, it's a fun read. Check it out for yourself and tell me what you think.

I hope to post one or two recommended Chinese-language Taiwanese blogs each week. If you have a personal fave, do leave a comment and let me know.

No comments: